Back Yard Build-Off
The fourth annual “Back-Yard Build Off” will take place at the 2016 PPG Syracuse Nationals. Selected builders will unveil their never-before-seen creations on Friday morning at 10am in the Ol' Skool Rodz building. The winner will be decided by popular voting by everyone at the Syracuse Nationals!
Sponsored by: Kammer Towing
Meet the 2016 builders:
Cory Chappell, of Canandaigua, NY
building: 1955 Chevy Pickup
Kevin Kimmerly, of Rochester, NY
building: 1950 Dodge Coronet
building: 1948 Chevy Truck
building: 1938 Cadillac 75 Fleetwood Limo
building: 1946 Dodge Truck
The purpose of the Ol' Skool Roundup Back Yard Build-Off is to bring back the tradition of Hot Rod and Custom building as it was in the early days. As in the early days of hot rodding, builders used the cars and components available from junk yards, yard sales, or by whatever means available. Most cars were small investments and driven daily. The cars, materials, and building techniques will be the same or similar to those used during the hey days of old school hot rods.
Back Yard Build-Off rules:
- $5,000 spending limit on the Build-Off project vehicle. Documentation of expenses must be available for inspection.
- Car bodies will be 1959 and earlier
- Engines will be 1973 or earlier and fitted in the earlier tradition. i.e.: no fuel injected engines or electronic ignitions.
- Chassis and suspension must be period correct. No airbags or other high-tech suspension systems.
- No product or monetary sponsors of any kind.
- All work must be started and completed by the car owner.
- Vehicle must be built of all steel parts.
- Billet components are not allowed.
- Each builder must start with a brand new project. No previously started projects.
- Finished vehicle must run and be road worthy.
- Syracuse Nationals staff reserves the right to inspect the vehicle during the Build-Off process.
- Build-Off participants must be 16 years or older. Professional builders are excluded.
- Vehicle must unveiled for the first time at the Syracuse Nationals. Vehicles are not allowed to be on display, photographed, or shown on social media before event.
- During the Build-Off voting period, only the Build-Off participant is allowed behind voting tables. Participants and/or friends and family members will not interact with the voting officials and/or volunteers.
- Participants must exhibit an attitude and demeanor that reflects positively on the Ol Skool Roundup and the Syracuse Nationals at all times.
- The Syracuse Nationals staff and/or Ol' Skool Roundup staff reserve the right to disqualify any participant who violates any of the above rules.
- Sportsmanship and fair play is essential.
- No cry babies.